Yesterday, we went garage saling. This has been a favorite Saturday morning activity for several years that started when my mom was looking for things for the church nursery. It saw me through baby equipment and clothing, some home furnishings, kids clothes, and of course....books. The kids think it is a great treat to come along and sometimes you find that special something that makes all the junk worth while.
Yesterday, Seth found a brand new Dover wild animals coloring book for a quarter. The VERY ONE that we had been looking for at Barnes and Noble the day before. They didn't have wild animals, so we had to settle for cats. And, there it was, buried below some books on bird watching. We were all so excited! Sure, we only saved $3.75, but it was more about the thrill of the hunt, and the victory of the find.
I saw an old reading text book that took me back to my first grade year. It was the very same reading book I had used in school. (I was in the bluebird group, you know the one that they cleverly named to protect other children's self esteem, but everyone knew it was the highest group.) I showed Annsley the book and said, "These are the books they used to teach us how to read. " She looked perplexed, laughed, and said, "Who learns to read with one book? You should use thousands of books to learn to read." That's my girl! Well indoctrinated at a young age!
3 comments:
Hey, you--I was a Bluebird too! And since I had the loudest voice in the whole third grade, I got to be the narrator OR the princess in every last play!
Poor Blackbirds. Poor Buzzards. Such good codewords. (These were not they...) But you know, even when they *don't* have peppy little nicknames for the reading groups, the kids all know who is a good reader and who isn't. It's just the way of the world...the point is to help the ones along who need the help and let the other ones fly as far as they can--not to make them all "even".
See ya soon!
I was in the "Beaver" reading group. I think we got to pick our own group names or something. We got to go across the hall to Mr. Bradley's room for reading.
Such a treat... and a great memory.
LOL! In Central School, cardinals were the highest group; then blue jays, then, alas, orioles.
Oh, how everyone wanted to be a cardinal.
By third grade, they went to colors: red, blue, yellow. Um, we still know what you're doing, folks.
By seventh grade (intermediate school), it was 7A, 7B, 7C. Wow, that's difficult to decipher.
In high school? Brains, jocks, and skids.
(*sigh*)
Labels can be useful... and limiting, no?
MFS
Post a Comment