I read several of these last month and I was so moved by them. I tried to write one of my own and was frustrated by my lack of memory and poetic words to describe my true feelings. So, I deleted my attempts and promptly forgot about the task. However, Diane at A Circle of Quiet reminded me, and I thought I'd give it one more shot. I think it is a valuable exercise even if my poetry skills are not what I wish they were. Hey, that is a part of Where I'm From, right? So, for better of for worse....here you go.
I am from laughter, from music, from love.
I am from the four seasons,
from the brilliant color of fall and the excitement of a new school year,
from the smell of snow at twilight, sledding down the driveway, and making snowmen in the front yard,
from endless lazy summer days, swimming and going to the lake,
from long-awaited springs bursting with new life, and the freedom of the first bike ride of the season.
I am from a huge front door with my mom waiting on the inside.
from sizzling onions and smells of food preparation,
from sounds of the piano from the living room.
I am from roses on the table and an abundance of multi-colored flowers growing in the yard.
I am from summer spent on the Oregon coast and Christmas spent singing carols and the ability to laugh when times are hard,
from Grandma Nadine, Grandma Verna, Grandpa Tick and Grandpa Herb.
I am from "work hard" and "play hard" and confidence that occasionally crosses into pride.
From “Now we’ve had our accident for the day.” and “Always do your best work.” and “Pursue Jesus with all your heart.”
I am from my Dad’s crazy mnemonic devices and memorizing the state capitals on long car rides.
I am from baptism in the river. I am from a deep love of the Bible and what it holds for all man. I am from the battle of hymns versus choruses that often still takes place in my own heart. I am from teaching Sunday school with my mom and youth group mission trips. I am from summers working as a Bible camp counselor and work crew.
I am from forgiveness.
I'm from Washington, from comfort foods and from a little dessert after every dinner.
From summers on the farm with Grandma Verna,
from riding the combine with Grandpa Herb.
from listening to stories of childhood from Grandma Nadine,
from riding in the boat at the lake with Grandpa Tick,
from going on special dates with my dad,
from wanting to be just like my mom.
I am from Grandma Nadine’s jewelry box and the family pictures stored in her hutch, now in my living room,
from the upstairs closet at Grandma Verna’s farmhouse where there were treasures untold, but peppered with a little fear at the depth of the dark closet.
I am from comfort and blessings and riches, both earthly and spiritually.
I am from and will continue to be from deep gratitude to God for all these.
3 comments:
Love this, Mind. Really. It's lovely.
Great job.
Hey Mindy,
Way to go! I love it. I told you, that if *I* could do it, so could you. It was worth the effort as an exersice, no?
LB
Beautiful, my friend. Thanks for the window into your blessed life.
We're leaving for Oregon on Saturday -- we'll think of you on our many walks to the rock (-:
Diane
Post a Comment