My Grandma is famous for her popcorn balls. Do you know how I know she is famous? Because she told me! Every year we get together to make them. Every year she frets that this will be the batch that doesn't stick together.She is old school; no candy thermometer for her. She drips some of the goop into ice water and feels it. We all try to feel it, so we will know how to recreate the right touch when someday she is gone. However, in reality, the candy thermometer is much easier.
I had to get a copy of her recipe because it says things like, "boil to soft crack stage, or not quite" and "form into balls after adding popcorn. Don't form too soon, but don't wait too long." Nothing like specifics, eh?

Wherever my grandma is, there is laughter. She told me that she was just doing this for the money and that she feel that she deserves more than minimum wage since she has all the stress of making sure the mixture is exactly right. We, of course doubled her salary from last year!
My grandma made the mixture, my mom helped her, my grandpa buttered the spoons and bowls, my cousin and I formed the balls and the kids wrapped them.
For some reason, this year Iwasvery aware that four generations of family in the kitchen together was a treasure that will not happen forever. I savored the moments. I took pictures. I laughed. I listened to them tell of the old days. I soaked it all up!! The ironic thing is that I don't even really like popcorn balls!


3 comments:
Love this, Mind.
I'm more than just a little jealous that you still have living grandparents. Makes me really miss my Grandma.
Have a great weekend, friend!
Sweet! I love funny Grandmas. :)
Merry Christmas, Mindy!
Post a Comment