Thursday, December 07, 2006

Can I tell you something really sweet?

WARNING: shameless mommy brag!

Today we were in the dollar store and Seth saw these really tall thick pencils covered in Christmas colored velvet. He got excited when he saw them and he said, "Mommy, I really want one of these on my Christmas list. This would be way up near the top." (Note: this is the kid who has an extremely short Christmas list and it includes....socks!!!) A woman my age looked at me longingly and said, "That is so refreshing. I wish something like that made my son so excited!!"

Danny always reminds me that "less is more" when it comes to giving the kids things. I'm pretty sure I would spoil them rotten if it were up to me. But, it is times like this when I am so glad I listen to his wisdom. For the most part (they are normal kids, after all) they are content with small things and thankful for the gifts they are given.

And you know what....I bought that kid a pencil right there on the spot!

Shhhhh.....I did buy him some socks for Christmas, too!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mindy,
What a sweet story. Doesn't it make you feel good when you know you're doing the right thing raising them to appreciate the small things? It's one of the best parts of being parents when you know that you helping to shape your kids into being kind and giving people.

Laney said...

Awww, Mindy, he is sweet! Socks on his Christmas list? :-)

Followers