Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Symphony field trip

Today we went to the most delightful symphony concert. All the 5th graders in the whole district (there are 34 elementary schools in town) bussed in to the Opera House and the symphony put on a concert especially for them. I got to go along with our co-op as a chaperon. I was so impressed, both with the thousand plus children that were there and with the concert itself. The conductor, who was a guest conductor from Washington State University, was marvelous with the kids. They did a wonderful variations of Yankee Doodle with 5th grade narrators to introduce the different sections and instruments of the orchestra. They taught the kids how to conduct and even called one girl from the audience to conduct the symphony. We had about twenty homeschooled kids and I was very proud of their behavior and enjoyment of the concert. We discussed favorite moments all the way home. Plus, it was impressive how they got all those kids from all those schools onto all those different buses. It was highly organized and impressive. The music was so beautiful it made me cry.

1 comment:

Pam said...

I think I was a part of that...some twenty years ago.

Followers