These are the last words I have heard every night for a little over sixteen years. The funny thing is that Danny doesn't call me sweetheart any other time. He isn't a "sweetheart" kind of guy. It started when we were very first married and the term of endearment may have actually started out in jest, but somehow it has continued.
Some nights he hasn't felt like saying it to me. But, we do not go to sleep until we can both say I love you....and mean it. That means some nights we need to stay up late and talk things over. But this one little phrase has prevented us from ever letting the sun go down on our anger. As we were drifting off last night Danny said it to me twice. He forgot that he had already said it once as he was drifting off to sleep. And it caused me to think about what a wonderful thing it is to hear those words as I drift off to sleep.
And the last words he hears are, "I love you too."
1 comment:
Mindy,
This is so lovely and simple and good.
You made me all teary.
I am so happy for you that youi nave this kind of love.
Post a Comment