Sunday, September 30, 2007

This world has nothing for me....

Last night I was watching my little TV in my "office" which only gets two channels, and the only thing on was some Hollywood show. It just confirmed to me something that God had laid on my heart lately. So many Hollywood type people have very unhappy lives. I don't read magazines or follow the stars, but when I see the headlines I feel sad for these people. They are people who are searching desperately for happiness and trying to fill the void with everything but God. For some reason over the last couple of weeks I have felt compelled to pray for the stars that are on the covers of the magazines in the grocery stores. I pray that God would fill them with His peace and show them how to find true happiness.

This morning in church the message was also geared exactly to this topic. We are going through the book of Hosea and our pastor was talking about people filling their "cups" with everything other than God. Christ is the living water that people are thirsting for. Hosea is, by the way, a heartbreaking picture of how God feels when we reject Him.

We ended our sermon with this awesome song by Jared Anderson. The words to the song say it so much better than I ever could.

Rescue (click on free button to hear chorus)
You are the source of the life
I can't be left behind
No one else will do
I will take hold of You

I need You Jesus
To come to my rescue
Where else can I go
There's no other name
By which I am saved
Capture me with grace
I will follow You

This world has nothing for me
I will follow You
This world has nothing for me
I will follow You

It just goes to show that "having it all" in the world's eyes does not bring happiness. It more often than not brings pain. Power, fame, and riches seem to bring despair more often than they bring fulfillment.

2 comments:

Pam said...

I'm encouraged by your heart to pray for the people on the magazine covers--instead of rolling your eyes or slandering them. Great post, thanks.

The Keevy Family said...

Great post Mindy. What an encouragement! This is not our home. 2 Cor. 4:17-18. I have never studied Hosea, and I think I will.

Followers