Friday, June 20, 2008

Day 7-Great Sand Dunes National Park/Colorado Springs

We started out the day driving an hour to the Great Sand Dunes National Park. You can imagine how my heart sank when I heard Danny wanted to hike to the top of the dune the call the appropriately named "High Dune" once I saw this....(yes, those little dots are people!)
However, once we got started, it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Here is a picture from one of the ridges at the top of one of the dunes. Somehow Seth had enough extra energy to roll around! We got there pretty early, so it wasn't unbearably hot, and some spots of the sand was cool and harder and some was getting pretty hot and you would sink down in it. That was the hardest part. We are about halfway up in this picture.
We made it to the top (about a mile up, and 500 feet elevation change)!! It was a great feeling of accomplishment.

Of course, the best part of the whole thing was running down the hill at full speed! The kids even called this hike one of the most fun parts of the whole trip. It is fun when gravity works in your favor!

We then drove to Colorado Springs and went to the Air Force Academy. Danny wanted to sign Seth up, but when he saw all the young recruits going through their drills, I'm not sure he was too excited. However, after we saw the video, he thought it sounded cool to parachute out of an airplane. The chapel was even cooler than we had heard it would be.
Next, we went to the Focus on the Family headquarters. We didn't have time for a tour and most of the kids things were closed, but it was a neat facility. After that we went and spent the night with (follow the family connection, here) Danny's sister's husband's brother's house. It was very fun to get to know them and their kids better.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of my girls just left on the 19th for the Air Force Academy. She is excited but a little nervous I think for how intense it's going to be. I am loving the posts!

Followers