This summer I seem to have crossed some strange threshold. I have actually really enjoyed all the fruit and vegetable processing we have done. We got a fruit dehydrator for Christmas last year and we have put it to good use drying fruit and making fruit leather. Here is just a sample of what has been keeping me busy this last couple weeks.

We have canned peaches with Danny's mom, sister, Annsley, my nieces Kailyn and Claire. When all is said and done, I'm hoping to have close to 100 quarts of peaches!!
We bought 4 boxes of apricots for 40 cents a pound and we have been using the dehydrator to turn them into fruit leather. So far we have about 200 rolls (apricot, cherry and raspberry)
This year we made strawberry, boysenberry and blackberry jam from picking in our garden. We also made some apricot jam which didn't set very well and will probably be ice cream sauce! We are picking carrots and zucchini like crazy from our garden. We have about 20 bags of shredded zucchini and about 10 bags of shredded carrots with more to come.
We picked over 60 bags of raspberries from our garden and we'll be eating these all winter!!
The funniest part of this whole thing is that I used to hate this whole process and somewhere along the line I have come to really enjoy it and take great pleasure in the whole thing!!! It feels so great to be stocked up for the winter.





3 comments:
You need to start your own farmer's market. Perhaps a frozen produce market in the winter? Just a thought :)
I love the satisfied feeling I get when I look into a very full freezer. On those busy days when I need food for the family and not a lot of time, I love it even more!
Good job on all that fruit. I haven't been in to canning yet, maybe I will be when I get out of toddler zone. It is a little much when I have little people pulling on my legs!!!
Impressive! Way to go Mindy. I'll know where to come when I'm in Spokane and want some fruit - in any shape or form!
Post a Comment