Monday, July 10, 2006

18 more days

We have 18 more days until we get to go here.

My family has been going to the conference center since I was 7. Yup, for all you mathematicians that makes 31 years. It has been such a joy to add Danny and my brother's wife, Erica to this trip. It has been even more fun to add our children to the mix. They have a fantastic children's program and the kids love it (as I loved it as a child.)

One of the best things about this vacation is that there are very few choices to be made. Meals are chosen for you (and they are good.) The basic schedule is chosen for you. The biggest decisions I have to make are what books to read and which beach to choose.

  • Shopping in Portland on the way down
  • Taco bar on Sunday night
  • Seaside on Wednesday.....don't forget the bumper cars
  • The Cannon Beach Carnival on Thursday afternoon
  • A play at The Coaster Theater
  • Hours of digging and playing (and reading) at the beach
  • Morning walks with my mom to Haystack rock (a mile down and a mile and a half back) followed by a latte
  • Time for serious spiritual introspection and reflection
  • Walks through the town, poking into galleries and tourist shops
  • Last, but certainly not least....Bruce's Candy Kitchen. The ONE thing that has not changed one bit in 31 years!

Yup, counting down the days. (Can I get a witness, Diane?)

2 comments:

Di said...

Bad news for Danny -- no taco bar. I know -- the earth shakes at such major changes.

We had a fantastic week. The sun was shining, we got to celebrate Patty's 49th, and we ditched out on several meetings to have "sports camp" -- lots of basketball, baseball and long walks on the beach.

Oh, and wireless in the conference center. PERFECT.

Missed you, though. Bren esp. missed having buddy Seth in his class.

Have a great time.

Diane

Anonymous said...

Hi Mindy! I hopped over from WTM board to see your daughter's notebook. It was very sweet.

How blessed you are to have such a wonderful family tradition. My husband and I are considering a trip to Oregon for a possible relocation/pastoral job. I am going to look into the retreat location and see if a visit there fits with our plans to get to know the Portland area.


Thanks for posting about the retreat center. Enjoy your summer and your time away with family.
Amy

Followers