Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Rent

A couple of nights ago I watched the movie Rent. I have never seen the musical (although I am familiar with some of the songs) or the movie. I have debated whether or not to watch this musical, because of the controversial subject matter, but I really wanted to see it because of the amazing music. I rented it (no pun intended) on a night where I had the whole house to myself.

First, let me say, that the music is so beautiful! I wept from the beauty of it. I'm a sucker for a show tunes and pop opera!

I wept through the whole thing. I wept for the consequences of sin. I wept for hopelessness. I know the people in the musical found their hope in love, but I so longed for them to find their hope in Jesus-the author of hope and love.

I don't pretend to understand street life or the struggles these people represented. I really don't think I have an easy answer to all of life's problems, but in Rent I saw a whole culture without God. And, I so wanted Him to be there.

Did I like it? Yes! It made me think and feel compassion like I haven't in a long time! The music (even for a movie version) was breathtaking. I am still processing, actually. Even though I really liked it, I just can't recommend it. There is too much that is controversial to put my stamp of approval on it. But, if you want to be moved, hopefully to compassion, get the soundtrack...or watch the movie....but consider yourself warned!

No comments:

Followers