Thursday, February 15, 2007

Teenagers.....

I LOVE teenagers. They make me smile. What a wonderful thing to not be a teenager anymore, and see with clarity the things that they can't yet see. I count it a privilege to be able to work with them and help them, in some way, find their way along this journey. There are two teens that have particularly given me great joy this past week.

The first is a 17 year old boy who plays guitar on our worship team. He is a silly-afro-hair-wearing-skinny-as-a-rail-comfortable-in-his-own-skin kind of kid. He went to a prayer retreat last weekend with our church. It was really an adult retreat, but he went to lead worship. He came back and was talking about the awesome things he learned and it literally brought tears to my eyes! (Yah, big shock....I know.) I was so encouraged to hear the younger generation picking up the torch and the passion for Christ.

The second is a girl in my advisory. This girl happens to be a girl I have known since she was about 9. We used to go to church with her parents. The other day she came to class and announced that she wanted to apologize to the other students for not being kind and apologize to me for talking when I'm talking. She is a sweetheart, and the other girls all told her she wasn't mean at all. (I didn't tell her she doesn't talk when I am talking because she does...:-) but I forgave her). She told me later that God had really convicted her to be a leader by being a kind person. I was so proud of her for doing that in front of her peers. And she proceeded to bring lots of treats and a Valentines gift for each girl in the advisory yesterday. So...we had a party...and it looked like Cupid exploded in my classroom.

Do they disappoint me? Sure. Do they look funny? Yup! There seems to be a high population of kids with hair over their eyes. (Don't even get me started with piercings :-)) Do they do the minimum amount of work they can get away with? Of course, don't we all? Is there drama? A homeschool co-op gives Days of Our Lives a run for its money. Are they funny? They make me laugh every day!

Can someone please save this post and remind me of it in 5 years when I have a 15 year old?

No comments:

Followers