Thursday, May 17, 2007

Prom Queen?

I work with a crazy fun staff!! (Did I say crazy?) Every Christmas we have a bad sweater party. You know the kind? Red sweaters with kittens and gold stitching or pictures of Santa? This spring we decided to have a prom party. We planned it on the night that one of the teacher's sons had his senior prom so we could meet at her house and embarrass the heck out of him in front of his date!! But, we decided to go 80's prom!! So, I dusted off my prom dress from 1985 (junior) (that I can still fit into, I might add. Never mind that I didn't breathe much due to the expansion of my rib cage from birthing too children...it fit! That is my story and I'm sticking to it!) My friend's son told his parents he hated them....and then proceeded to call several of his buddies to tell them to *not* come see what his parents and friends had done. So, of course, they came.

We then went to a Mexican restaurant where people got a huge kick out of our strange party. After dinner we went to a place where there was dancing. (OK, it was a bar, but I don't really like typing that since I'm not really a bar kinda' gal!) There was a little dancing, but mostly just laughing at one of the guys who is willing to make a fool out of himself for our enjoyment!!

My dress is sort of Gunnysack (remember Gunnysack dresses?) meets Madonna circa 1985. There was LOTS of blue eye shadow involved. (I seriously don't think I have put on eye shadow in 15 years!) I also borrowed a hairpiece to add to the "up-do" look which gave me a little extra height! It didn't quite match my hair, but....oh well!
I did get a compliment from a woman (who I believe had been spending a fair amount of time in the bar before this moment) in the bathroom. She asked if I was in a wedding. I explained, "No, just some friends dressing up in prom dresses." She replied, "YOU are GORGEOUS!" (in a slightly gushing inebriated fashion.) But, I am not one to turn down a compliment, no matter where it comes from.
A good time was had by all!! I was home in bed by 10:30.

5 comments:

Pam said...

That is so cool (I mean, like, totally awesome and rad). That's guy's wig is the best. I don't think I own my prom dress anymore.

Anonymous said...

You crack me up, Mind!! Makes me wonder what's up down at that school of yours. Is this what happens with too much government work? What I really want to know is why I had to read your blog to know this!! ;-)

Love you...

Patty in WA or Rover said...

You are just killing me!

I love the "up-do"--and the woman was right.

I have to tell you though, that I think I have you beat. I have gone to not one but 5 proms. Of course, 4 of them were after I was married, as a chaperone, but hey, I did more dancing then than I did at my own. I had this great dress, too, which was my matron dress from my sister's wedding. It was royal blue, fitted up top and full after the waistline. It was made out of parachute cloth, and it really floofed when I danced.

I was never able to pull of the Gunne Sax thing...too..."angular" I guess.

You must have had fun!

Donna Boucher said...

Hey!
Where did my comment go?

I loved this post so much!

You guys are a blast AND you are so foxy!

Needleroozer said...

I agree. THis was a funny post, and the inebriated gusher was right- you are so gorgeous!!
LB

Followers