Overall, I would give the results show a C- (and really, I think I am being generous). They tried to copy last years show, (which I gave an A for entertainment) but it just didn't quite work. The silly Idol awards seemed forced and just didn't work like they did last year. (Although the picture of that monkey was pretty funny).
The guests they brought in seemed so random. Bette Midler?!? Don't get me wrong, I like Bette, and back in the day, I can confess to weeping at the movie Beaches. (I went to see that movie in college with my three roommates after bra shopping. Talk about the ultimate girl bonding day. I'm sure there was chocolate involved, too!) But, come on, Bette.....you were waving your arms around like a bird. I get it....wings, but if you are going to impress me, you will need to sing your most famous song in tune, not flap your arms in an attempt to take off.
I LOVED, LOVED Tony Bennet. I would highly recommend his latest duet CD. It is great, and I thought he was a class act!!! I also liked the six guy finalists singing together. I thought they were good, and it was fun to see them all back.
The old idols just were not working for me. I didn't really enjoy any of their performances much. (Remind me again how Taylor Hicks got so many votes last year.) Carrie Underwood-gorgeous. Love her. Not so crazy about the song choice for last night. Kelly Clarkson-she seemed like she was shouting and I wanted her to stop.
I liked Blake's beatbox song last night. I think they should have made Jordin do that in the finals since they made Blake sing that ballad. I will never understand why they would take a song that was obviously written for someone like Jordin and expect Blake to sing it. But, I'm over it.
I'm happy for Jordin. You know, she just seems so darn nice. And, Blake was so classy in his defeat. I get the feeling that those kids are all good friends and they are going to love being on tour together.
But where does that leave me on Tuesday/Wednesday nights, eh?
2 comments:
My DVR cut off right as Ryan was getting ready to announce the winner. I had to go online to see the results and totally missed the tear jerker ending with the terrible sappy song.
I felt that way about the whole season in general. I voted maybe twice. Both times for Lakisha. Oh - and once for Hailey, because Ethan made me promise I would vote for her after he went to bed. Had to keep my promise, you know.
All in all I felt it was a pretty uninspired season. Blake is a musical genius, I think, but only marketable to a small crowd... Jordin is amazing, and deserved to win, but I didn't LOVE her like I've loved past idols. Where's the tension like we had with Bo and Carrie? I had such a hard time choosing between those two.
And hey - what about Chris Daughtry and that eyeliner?
I would give it a D because Melinda wasn't a finalist. I only watched the last 15 minutes of it. Josh recorded it for me at home--and the DVR cut it off, too. Fortunately, I was pretty sure Jordin would win, so I had him record the local Fox news (who originally discovered her at the "Arizona Idol" contest)immediately following. I wanted to see their reaction. By the way, I learned from that news report that Ryan holds a blank card when he reads the results. This is because, according to Simon, Clay accidently saw Rueben's name before Ryan read it.
Post a Comment