Friday, November 30, 2007

Happy Birthday, Dad


Tomorrow, December 1st is my Dad's birthday. We chose some of the best pictures from the slide show above to give him as a gift. I realize that I talk a lot about my mom, but I don't mention my Dad as much. He is a wonderful father and grandfather. His love is so unconditional and I appreciate him so very much. He is amazingly generous with his money and his time. He has served faithfully in the church for many years. He goes to Russia (Siberia, in the winter, even) to help train Russian pastors to lead their churches. I get my love of books and school supplies from him. We call him "the Laminator" because he loves to laminate things. He has a cooler label-maker than I do.
He is one of the funniest people I know and he often surprises people who don't know him well because he comes across as a little formal until people get to know him. When I was in college in California he would always make several trips down to see me. He would take me to some cool sporting event. We went to baseball games, hockey games, and even a Raiders game once (during the strike season). I guess it is no wonder I ended up a sports fan. I have great memories of my Dad teaching me how to keep score for the 1980 Dodgers team.
I included this picture of him, not because it is the best one of him, but because it shows his joy of being a Grandpa to his two grandsons. Many times when Seth comes over for a visit he will have some crazy Olympics or game tournament set up for the two of them.
In the pool he is known as "the shark" and his "da-da-da-da" (think Jaws) sends the grand kids shrieking to the other end of the pool.
Happy birthday, Dad. I love you very much!!

1 comment:

Pam said...

That is so cool that he taught you how to keep score of a baseball game. Josh taught me, although I was a big sports fan long before then. I think I got some of it from my dad--and from Grandma.

Followers