Monday, November 05, 2007

Little Women

Annsley is in her very first musical. We participated in our local CYT (Christian Youth Theater) last year, but I was too busy for her to try out for any shows. The show is Little Women, the Musical. If you have never heard the music I highly recommend getting the CD. It is beautiful music and a wonderful show. I can not believe how much I have enjoyed being a part of the show. Quite honestly, Annsley is no more than a "live prop." She in only on stage for 3 scenes, has no lines, no solos, and sings in the chorus on a couple of songs. But, she has a great attitude about it and is thrilled to be a part of it. (And she looks pretty darn cute up on stage...pictures next week!)

All parents in CYT have to volunteer to be on one of the committees and I chose backstage. The kids do most of the set moving, but they need a parent backstage to make sure things run smoothly. The kids are so much fun and I remember how much I love working in a theater. (I taught drama before I had kids and directed a couple of plays/musicals.)

But, the greatest part for me is watching the older kids with the younger kids. They take an interest in them and actually include them in things. The girl who plays Jo (and has an AMAZING voice) actually takes time to talk with Annsley. Jo is in *every* scene and has so much to think about, and she still takes time to include the cast members who have small parts. There is no primadona attitude. As a mother this impresses me WAY more than her amazing vocal talent.

I love that they pray before every show to give glory to God for the performances. I love that the atmosphere is family friendly. It is a safe place for kids to experience theater and develop their talents.

It has been such a positive experience for Annsley and even though it has totally consumed out last two weeks it has been worth it.

No comments:

Followers