Monday, May 29, 2006

A Blow to my Ego!!

Let me start this story by telling you that I have a nice voice. It feels weird to just say that, but, it is true. It isn't the hippest voice you have ever heard (think Twila Paris) but one of my strengths is blending with other people. I know how to make other people sound even better. I've been doing this almost every Sunday for the last 15 years!

In church yesterday the girl (she is 30) that I sing with was telling me about this trio that she was going to do with two girls (in their young 20s) from the other worship team. It is actually a Destiny's Child song but it is gospel. Somehow the conversation turned to the fact that she hadn't asked me to sing with her and this is the conversation that followed:

Her: Well, actually...oh never mind, I don't want to say. It sounds bad.
Me: Now you have to tell me.
Her(laughing and putting her arm around me): I thought it might be better for the "young girls."

Now granted, I am no Biance, but I don't think I have ever been thrown into the "old girls" category before!! So, after I recovered from my geriatric shock, she continues,

Her: Besides, I have sung with those two before and we just blend really well.
Me: (smiling graciously, in a grandmotherly way) I understand, I have two old ladies, I mean women, that I used to sing in trios with also.

It was actually not my ego that was so much bruised, I came to terms a long time ago with the fact that ego and pride have no place in singing for the Lord, but it did make me feel very lonesome for my friends that I used to sing with in our old church!!

After a few tears to Danny, I thanked God for the reminder to be humble in doing His service, and for allowing me to feel what I'm sure that I unintentionally made others feel in the past.

I'm off to go sit in my rocker now!

4 comments:

Laney said...

Awww, you poor thing! You just go ahead and hit 'em with your cane or better yet throw your false teeth at them the next time. :-)

You handled it well, Mindy. For what it's worth, I think you have a lovely singing voice! (I know that I have neer heard it but I believe that you are being modest when you say that you can sing well.) :-)

Donna Boucher said...

I would have started crying!

They are just too embarrassed to stand next to you cause you're so pretty!

Cathy said...

Oh Mind - I feel your pain. You know I've been there.

I'm sorry. It hurts.

I miss singing with you.

(((Hugs, friend.)))

Anonymous said...

Sweet Friend,
I've been absent from your blog for awhile--sorry, don't know why, just got off my radar for a bit. I totally relate to your comment, Mind! Once again, a few weeks ago I was reminded that there's now a "new generation" of leadership in Asaph, and it's not us. Drats. And to top it off, we sang "Deep, Deep Love of Jesus" at church this weekend, and I cried. I miss singing with you--and I will even when I'm an old warbler. ;)

Followers