Annsley and Seth have been taking a sign language class since last year and their teacher is just wonderful. She has really given both the kids a love and passion for sign language. I have been so impressed with all that they know after a relatively short time. All trimester they have been working on a report of a prominent deaf person. Annsley chose Laura Bridgeman and Seth chose Laurant Clerc. They wrote an essay and made a poster. Their final project was to sign their report for the class. It was so cute how excited/nervous they were last night. They practiced, oh boy did they practice!!
Seth literally raced into my classroom after his performance and showed me that he had received 100/100 points on his project. I wish I could have captured his sweet face with a picture. I wanted to kiss his teacher for giving him that grade, but more than that, I wanted to kiss his teacher for giving him the opportunity to get in front of others and show what he has learned. This doesn't come easily for this boy and I was so proud I wanted to burst. Annsley came down a little later to show me her 100 as well. But, she enjoys being in front of others and so it wasn't quite as hard for her. Her presentation was about nine minutes long (Seth's was about 5 minutes). Annsley has a beautiful stage presence when she signs and she really enjoys it.
Their teacher recorded them and I am hoping that I will be able to figure out how to upload a clip of them signing. I wish I could post a video of Annsley signing Silent Night, but I don't have a digital video camera yet.
This is one of the reasons that I love TEC. It gives the kids a chance to work with other teachers who will inspire them to do things that I can not teach. I was also happy that they are diligent about their deadlines and due dates without me pushing them. They did this all on their own. They were the only two students in the class who were ready to go with their reports today.
Also today in their science class their final project is to wire a little cardboard box house. They have been studying electricity and circuits in the class. They have been having so much fun and learning so much.
In their writing class they are putting their finishing touches on their expository essays and getting ready for their writer's celebration next week. This is where they read a selection that they have read in front of the class and parents.
In their music class next week they are putting on a little performance for the parents. They will be playing autoharps and doing some other cool things.
These are some of the reasons that I am so thankful for TEC!!
2 comments:
I am loving the classes and teachers Jeffrey is experiencing outside of our home for many of the same reasons. His level of motivation is something else!
Mindy...another thing we have in common....
sign language :o)
http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm
Check out this amazing website!!!
Post a Comment