I have a confession to make.....
I think God left out a few girl genes when He created me.
I hate shopping!
I went to the mall yesterday because my mom gave me a little money for some new clothes for the kids and me. Her stipulation was that I had to use it on clothes. So, I set off to the mall with high expectations. I didn't mind shopping for the kids. I'm really too cheap to pay full price for anything, but we did end up with a couple of things on sale for each of the kids.
We then went to Barnes and Noble, a family favorite place to visit. I left to kids in the children's book section and popped next door to the Nordstrom Rack. My first feeling when I walk into the Rack is a sense of being overwhelmed. I don't really know what I need. I don't know where to look. I don't feel like trying on clothes. I don't really know what is "in" these days.
So, I start tentatively looking at the hundreds of round racks (which seem to be in no particular order). I pick a couple of things up and then realize I don't really like them and put them back. I don't even make it halfway through the clothes before I give up. I go to the racks of shoes. I must go to the back of the shoe racks where they keep the *big* shoes. All the cute footed people get to shop in the bright, cheery front of the shoe section, but I head toward the dimly lit section in the back. Shoes never look quite as cute in size 9 (or 9.5) as they do in 6. I'm not bitter. I look at 2,680 single shoes and find none that I really like (and I'm *not* willing to pay $60 for a pair of shoes.) I leave Nordstrom Rack empty handed, feeling discouraged and a bit like a shopping failure. I race back to Barnes and Noble where I feel comfortable and happy. I check on the kids who are surrounded by piles of Bernstein Bear books. Go figure, they haven't read those books for years, but they are enjoying it.
I set off again for a couple other shops, certain that I can find something to spend some money on. I walk up to The Gap. I walk in, look around, don't find one thing that I think would look cute on me. I turn around and walk out. Couple other stores. Same story. I buy something at Barnes and Noble and call it good.
Side note: Who came up with the notion of selling jeans that have carefully torn and worn (and even dirty) patches on them? Doesn't anyone else find this one of the silliest fads yet?
I do like to look cute/hip. I just don't know how to do it by myself. I don't enjoy the thrill of the hunt. I need a personal shopper.
Somehow I missed the shopping gene. (And the hair styling gene, and the make-up gene.)
But, I really like football. :-)
5 comments:
If you were a boy...you would have mowed the lawn by now :o)
he he he
Hey! Guess what? I am missing the shopping and make-up genes, too! Yay! Now I don't feel so alone and out of place,
Tee Hee,
LB
I've missed the shopping gene, too.
The hair and makeup, though? Got those!
Crissy
Um, does your Mom know you broke the rules?
You should have gone to TJ Maxx. Or Ross. I always find something there, and the prices aren't so awfully awful.
You needed Betsey, eh?
I hate shopping.
But I don't like football either.
Well, except European football - I like that :-) but not enough to clutter my mind with statistics and names & league tables....
Post a Comment