Saturday, October 14, 2006

Reading in Bed


Mindy: So, are you really going to carry that book on the bus?

Danny: (sheepish smile) Yes?

Mindy: It sure is.....pink.

Danny: I'm secure in my manliness.

I'm not sure where Danny first heard about this book, but he put it on hold at the library and has been enjoying it thoroughly. Last night we lay in bed; Danny reading Stop Dressing your Six-Year-Old Like a Skank and Other Words of Delicate Southern Wisdom, and me reading One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexandre Solzenhitsyn. Does anyone see the ironic contrast here? It is usually me reading lighter material and Danny tackling something a bit more weighty.

Last night we were both tucked in early with our respective books, and Danny started giggling. I ignore him concentrating a little harder on the Russian gulag. He then moved to chortling. I looked at him to see if he wanted to share the joke with me. I then turned back to my book re-reading that same paragraph for the third time. Next, he was laughing so hard he was shaking the bed. He had to share a few excerpts with me. Pretty soon we were both laughing so hard that we had tears streaming down our faces. I'm not sure what was making me laugh harder, the book or Danny trying to read through his laughter. And then, I turned back to read a couple of pages of my book.

About five minutes later, we repeated the cycle. Several times.

If you are looking for a funny light read, I'd recommend the book (if you don' t mind a little colorful language.)

Happy reading in bed, everyone!

No comments:

Followers