Last night we went to my parent's house for a little family party. My uncle and aunt were visiting from Seattle so we got together to eat a little food, watch the WSU Cougars play football and have some great family time.
Last night Annsley took her younger cousin, Katie, downstairs to play dress-up. Pretty soon they emerged from downstairs, and Katie (3 years old) was decked out in the fanciest, prettiest outfit. But, Annsley was wearing her normal clothes. We all "oohed" and "ahhed" over Katie and they disappeared to don a new outfit. Soon, they arrived again with Katie in another fancy, sparkly outfit and Annsley still had on her own clothes. I know Annsley still likes dress-up because she enjoys playing it with her friends.
I felt a little sadness. Annsley no longer wanted to preen in the spotlight, in dazzling sequins and feathers, thinking herself a princess or a ballerina. My little girl is growing up!
I also felt a little proud. I watched her being perfectly content to usher Katie into the spotlight and step back and let her take center stage. My little girl is growing up. And she is growing into a confident, kind young lady!
No comments:
Post a Comment