Saturday, April 08, 2006

I would not have made a good Pilgrim!



Well, it was bound to happen, but today we hit miserable rain all day. We braved the Mayflower boat tour, but decided to bag Plymouth Plantation. We had been a bit undecided about whether we would go there even if the weather was nice. Although, after talking with the very knowledgeable people on the Mayflower, we were sorry that it wasn't nicer out. The Pilgrims landed at that very spot in December. I can't imagine how cold and miserable that would have been. It must have been pretty bad in England to set sail on that tiny ship with 130 other people. I think I probably would have chosen to stay.

Next we drove to Providence, Rhode Island. We drove by the capitol building, but the weather just wasn't permitting of too much walking around outside. So, after lunch, we headed on to our hotel in Connecticut. We are staying here so that we have a short drive to NYC tomorrow. Fortunately, we looked at the weather and it is supposed to be sunny and warmer! We are headed straight for the Statue of Liberty, so I really hope the weather is nice!

Today reminded me of how thankful I am for warmth. We hopped in our car, turned on the heater and warmed right up. When our nation started there were no places to go to get warm. Those early colonists battled amazing conditions and we are reaping the benefit or that!

No comments:

Followers