Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Trip update...


Tuesday, April 4-This morning Danny (bless his heart) left our hotel to stand in line for tickets to the Bureau of Engraving. He got to see the Washington Monument at sunrise, which is something the rest of us can't say. He got 9:00 AM tickets and we scurried to meet him. I can't say that I have ever seen 130 million dollars in one place before, but now I have! WOW!

On the other side of the extreme we went to the Holocaust Museum next. They have a fantastic exhibit called Daniel's story that is just perfect for children. It was so well done and Annsley and Seth really got a feel for what happened without all the images that they might not be ready for.

We went up to Arlington Cemetery to see the changing of the guard. Seth really enjoyed that. There are some amazing stats about the men who serve in that position. I'll have to dig those out sometime, but they take these amazing promised when they accept that position. It was a beautiful day and we had some good pictures of the city in the background.

The kids got a chance to swim and then we set off on to see the monuments at night. It was a beautiful night and they were absolutely gorgeous!!























This is what Seth looked like by the end of the day! (Notice the book title.)

Wednesday, April 5-We woke up very early to take Danny's parents to the airport and then we set out for PA. We stopped for an extremely cold tour of Gettysburg. We did the car tour thing and didn't get out too much. We haven't studied the Civil War yet, but we did talk about it some before our south trip last year. We did read a biography about Abraham Lincoln and the kids memorized the Gettysburg Address. (Yes, I made them stand in the freezing spot where Abe Lincoln stood and quote it!)

And what Classical Education tour would be complete without the Hershey, PA chocolate factory tour? We changed out itinerary a little. We were going to tour Amish country and Lancaster, but decided to take a shorter route to our hotel and go by Hershey. We were going to skip it, but decided to include it and it turned out to be a highlight for the kids (of course.) They put you on a little ride and you learn about how they make the chocolate and then they give you some samples. Hey folks, it can't be education all the time!! (Actually, the funny thing is that they already knew a ton about how chocolate was made from the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory class they just finished at our co-op! It was a great reinforcement of what they learned!)

Tonight we are in another hotel with a pool and internet access. We are all happy! We are having a great time, and it is so fun just to be together!

3 comments:

Crissy said...

Oh, Mindy, your vacation sounds heavenly.
Jeffrey is quite envious of your trip to the Library of Congress earlier in the week. I had just blogged about his "dream job" when I came over to read about your vacation.
That is a great picture of you and Danny.
Enjoy the remainder of your trip!

Crissy

Donna Boucher said...

I just said to my daughter..
"What a wonderful time to visit Washington DC." Speaking of the blossoms :o)

Di said...

Dear Mindy,
I am SO glad that you are blogging on the road. You all look so happy, and the scenery is fabulous. I loved the monuments at night; one of my favorite pics I have of John is of him on the steps of the Lincoln at night.
Looking foward to the next installment,
Diane

Followers