Sunday, October 30, 2005

Seven years ago today....

Danny drove down Grand Street to the hospital amidst a flurry of leaves swirling around. It was early and the sun was just coming up. I was in no pain because I was going to be induced. After getting checked in and set up the waiting began. Who knew there was such nothingness on TV during the daytime? Even Regis and Cathy-Lee (or was it Kelly?) donning Halloween costumes didn't seem to capture my interest. So we read and played a game or two. Eventually things started happening and by 7:00 that night out came our 9 pound little boy. Don't hate me, but I have had two pain-free birthing experiences. For some reason my body doesn't do painful contractions before I am ready to get an epidural. So, my deliveries have been easy with lots of family in the room and fun!

The minute I first held my baby son I understood that special bond that a mother has with her son. Honestly, I had always wanted a daughter and so I didn't care too much if #2 was a boy or another girl. But, after that minute I finally "got it." Last night we watched videos of him when he was one, and I swear (and really I am not biased) that he was the cutest little thing that ever learned to walk. I can't remember when those chubby (and they were so chubby) legs turned into skinny limbs. And I can't remember when that lisp disappeared and he learned to say his "r"s. But, he still laughs just as hard when he is tickled, and he still idolizes his sister.

That bond is still there whether he is pulling me closer to give me a hug and snuggle or if he is pushing me away because he doesn't want me to kiss him in public. I know it will always be there. I know he will compare his future wife to me. I know the joy of having a son.

Happy 7th Birthday, Seth!

2 comments:

Di said...

Happy Birthday, Seth!

Mrs. Wheeler and Brennan

Cathy said...

He really is one of the cutest little boys I know...

Great job on the cake, by the way - it's SO cute.

Followers

Blog Archive