Thursday, February 09, 2006

Taste and see...

Taste and see that the Lord is good;
blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
Psalm 34:8

God is good! I am tasting and rejoicing because of two pieces of news that I received today. First, one of my best friends got the news that the lump in her breast was benign. And second, friends of ours who are missionaries in Mexico told us last week that there 4 year old had leukemia. This morning we got the news that they moved her to Seattle and further tests show that is a virus that acts like leukemia, but is NOT cancer!!

The question that hovers in the back of my brain is would I be able to write the same if these situations had turned out differently? Could I still proclaim, "God is good?" I think this question has been dancing around in the back of my brain ever since reading Night (see previous post). How could someone come out of the concentration camps saying, "God is good?" Wiesel didn't. I can't pretend to have an answer to this question, but I believe when the Bible promises,

Romans 8:28-And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose."

I can't help but think of the scene in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe when Mr Beaver introduces the idea of Aslan to the children.
"Don't you know who is the King of the Beasts? Aslan is a lion-the lion, the great Lion."
"Ooh!" said Susan, "I thought he was a man. Is he-quite safe? I shall feel rather nervous meeting a lion."
"That you will, dearie, and no mistake," said Mrs. Beaver, "if there's anyone who can appear before Aslan without their knees knocking, they're either braver than most or just silly."
"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver, "Don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about being safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the king, I tell you."
(Side note, I was so glad they put that line in the movie even though they got it in the wrong place. :-))

God doesn't promise that no bad things will happen. But, he promises He will work them for our good if we love Him. This certainly doesn't answer all the questions, but I cling to the words. Today, however, I rejoice with tears of joy and a heart of happiness. Thank you, God!

3 comments:

Heather said...

I often turn to Job when I need a startin place for a quiet time. I'm not sure why, I just do. My life has always been such that I have all the essentials and then some.

Faith, faith and a willingness to truly go as well as do what God asks, that to me shows the type of person any of us would be in a crisis... when the bottom drops out and when all seems utterly and totally lost.

Patty in WA or Rover said...

This is a very good question. I have wrestled with this a lot. My devotional talks about suffering in a way that most other devotionals have not...that part of suffering is not ours to understand *except* that we are not bereft...that we are never out of the hand of God...that what we go through is in the scope of what we need to bring us closer to Him. But I am not sure I believe it, when the rubber meets the road. In theory, yes. But I am chief among the crumplers when the rubber meets the road.

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I find it hard to accept the GOOD - like it is undeserved.

Oh, I am glad you have GOOD news today.

Followers

Blog Archive