Friday, December 23, 2005

It's Festivus for the rest-of-us!

I confess. We celebrate Festivus. This holiday came from a Seinfeld episode where George's father invented a holiday ("Frank, you are so prolific!") because he was tired of the materialism of Christmas. Our celebration started as a joke with my brother and has become a great excuse to get together as a family one more time during this season. Our twist is that we have a wonderful fondue dinner with meat in oil sauce, bread in cheese sauce, and lots of stuff in chocolate sauce. My favorite is the cheese sauce. Mmmmmmm. I can't wait!!

My brother has an aluminum pole which is the traditional decoration of Festivus ("I find tinsel distracting.") He sets it near the table.
Another aspect of Festivus is the airing of grievances ("I got a lot of problems with you people!") We usually come up with some joking grievances about each other.
Usually we don't do any feats of strength, ("You can take him, Georgy!") the final element of Festivus although my mom said she was going to bring juggling balls this year.
We conclude the evening by actually watching the Festivus episode of Seinfeld. It is funnier every year!

So, start a new tradition this year. Celebrate Festivus.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! You have such a fun family.

Happy Festivus!!!

Laney said...

Bwhahahahah!!!

Mindy, girl, you crack me up!!

Followers

Blog Archive