Thursday, December 08, 2005

What I'm reading....

This morning I'll take a break from the Christmas pictures, although you may see more later on today. I just finished Jan Karon's final book in the Mitford series, Light From Heaven. It was such a delightful Christmas read. One thing I love about this series is the wonderful representation of Father Tim and Cynthia's marriage. I love to read and watch examples of healthy marriages. It seems on TV marriages are always portrayed with a buffoon husband and a nagging wife *or* a romantic passionate love with no real life built in. Some of my favorite entries on your blogs are when you talk about your marriage in glowing, but real terms. If I knew how to do it, I would link you to the specific posts of MMV talking about her husband coming home after a long trip or A Circle of Quiet honoring her husband on his birthday, anniversary and (one of my personal faves) on his 20th anniversary of teaching. Others of you have inspired me as well.

I love my husband...and I also like him! (Almost every day!) The bottom line is I like the person I am *with* him way better than the person I know I would be *without* him! It is our differences (read: the things that bug us) that make us better together than apart. He keeps me disciplined and I bring the fun. He is the brains and I'm the heart. We work well together. We make each other laugh...still! We love to talk to each other. We argue, we fight fair, we apologize.

It isn't our anniversary or anything, but this is something I have been thinking about for a while and it kind of took over this post. I was going to tell you about the other book I'm reading, Native Son, by Richard Wright, but let's just say, it isn't in keeping with the mood of this post. I'll talk about that on a different day. Fascinating book, but not a Christmas feel-good kinda story.

Thanks for sharing your marriages with me. They inspire me!

1 comment:

Laney said...

I love my husband, too! I post about him frequently and he loves to read what I say about him. We have fun with each other and laugh at each other because of the silly things that we do and say. I love being married to him and I say, quite a lot that, the best part of Kevin and Laney is Kevin.

Followers

Blog Archive