
My Grandma Verna is the last of my living grandparents. She turns 86 in February and she is one of my favorite people in the world. She is the mother of 5 children (4 boys and my mom) and grandmother to 15 and great grandmother to 16 (and counting). She was a famer's wife for most of her life until my Grandpa died of cancer about 20 years ago. She then managed the farm on her own for several years before marrying a wonderful jovial man who has become a dear and treasured part of our family. About 5 years ago they moved into a retirement home a couple of miles from our house. She has always been a woman who loves God and she has a practical wisdom that amazes me. She leads a Bible study at her retirement home and uses her energy to help other women learn. She prays daily for every one of her kids, grandkids, and great grandkids by name.
She is very funny and fun to have around. They were too tired to come to our Festivus celebration and she said she wanted to rest for Christmas so she could "dance on the table." She raised 5 children who love the Lord, laughter and music and when the whole family gets together you should hear the singing and laughing! We all gathered this summer to honor her for her birthday and it was so great. I so appreciate the Godly heritage she has passed down to her family.
She cackles when she laughs and she can rarely remember the punch line to a joke which only makes it funnier.
She is getting older, I know she has lots of aches that she never had before, but her mind is sharp and witty and I pray God will keep her that way for a long long time.
3 comments:
Umm - Mindy?
There is no Part Three.
Unless I just missed it, but I went back and looked through all your archives, and I saw part one, part two and part four.
Who are you leaving out?
Here is Part 3. :-)
http://mindysnewsong.blogspot.com/2005/11/photo-challengeand-part-3-of-women-in.html
thanks for sharing about your grandmother. My grandmother went to be with Jesus back in 98~ she was 98 .... she was such a wonderful godly influence for me.
I again thank you for sharing~
blessings,
Teena
mom to 1/2 dozen
Post a Comment