"In fact, I was reminded throughout the book (Weight Watchers) of how many analogies there are between losing weight and practicing Christianity. There are rules to obey. You will to obey them. Some people insist that the devotional life is somehow purer or better if it is pursued only when we feel like it. Worship for some is thought to be an "experience" rather than an act. Losing weight is also an experience--there's no doubt about that--in fact, the expression "being born again" occurs in the testimonies of those who have done it. But losing weight most certainly has to begin with an act.
It is an act of the will. You decide to do this and not to do that. You must arrange, prepare, and carefully carry out your plan. The combustion of those daily calories will happen without fail, but only when the conditions are properly set up."
So, this morning instead of reading all your fabulous blogs (which is what I wanted to do) that will still be there later today, I'm going to stick to my plan and spend some time with God! Thanks, again, Elisabeth Elliot.
2 comments:
I think I needed your post today...Thank YOU
In light of National Delurking Week, I am here to say hi there! I do read your blog and my life is always a little more entertaining and blessed because of it!
Sherri
aka Scooby at A Place to Grow
Post a Comment