Monday, January 16, 2006

Here is one more reason to read out loud to your kids...

I found this quote today as I was re-reading Honey for A Child's Heart by Gladys Hunt. "If families don't read books together, how do they know each other's friends." She goes on to say, "We know the same people, we have gone through emotional crisis together." Anyone who has read books with their families know about the inside jokes that this causes. In our family when someone is sort of pretending to be hurt so they don't have to work we say, (in our best Drover voice from Hank the Cow Dog) "Oh, my leg." This send us all into laughter and we get to work. There are 100 examples I could give of this and you have the same for your family. This is just a reminder to read out loud to your kids. If you don't know where to start I recommend Honey For a Child's Heart. It provides lists of great books for all ages as well as some good reminders of why we should do it. Make it a routine. During breakfast. During lunch. Before bedtime. Any time at all!! Happy Reading Everyone!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I checked out your book lists: heavy stuff! :)

I tried to read "Juneteenth" by Ralph Ellison and didn't get past the first chapter. Is "invisible Man" any better?

I keep looking at Name of the Rose, too....hmmm.

Thanks for sharing - and I love the post - it's so true.

Followers