Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Ash Wednesday



In case you were wondering what exactly Ash Wednesday is, here is a link to check out. All About Lent. I'm not Catholic or even any kind of Orthodox church that practices any kind of Lenten activities. I do not believe that the church (or anyone) can mandate heart change and giving something up can be only meaningless liturgy. However, the church sort of threw the baby out with the bath water and threw many rich spiritual traditions out for the sake of legalism. But, I think that when observed with a true heart of devotion to God, giving something up at Lent, or going to church to have a cross rubbed on your forehead can be a wonderful time of communion with God. The trick is that I am not doing it to show God how spiritual I am, but I am doing it as a reminder. Every time I long for an earthly craving I can use it to remember Christ and his sacrifice. So, tonight we will go to an Ash Wednesday service at a beautiful cathedral in town. I decided to give up pop for Lent again this year. Why? Because that is one thing that I really love and I figured if I want to have constant reminders that will do it! The other thing I am doing this year is to take up something as well. This year I'm taking up serving my husband. I am committing to pray for him each day.

Happy Ash Wednesday, everyone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lent can be such a wonderful time when it's approached in just the manner you describe (which is to say, the way it's meant to be LOL) Many people do a "cultural" Lent rather than spiritual, and it's a shame, because it can be such a time of growth and concentrated, determined conciousness of what we should be thinkin' on all the time, anyhow!

Your job sounds fascinating!

Donna Boucher said...

Blessing on your Lenten season :o)
May you remember God when you fast from your soda and serve your husband.

I should just copy you....
These would be my idenical sacrifices and gifts.

God Bless You.

Did you know the ashes for Ash Wednesday are made from the burning of the palm branches from Palm Sunday?

Cathy said...

You and others have inspired me to also give up and take on.

Chocolate and a daily walk.

There you have it.

Are you going to St. John's?

Followers

Blog Archive