Saturday, March 11, 2006

Since it went over OK last time....

I am going to talk a little more about my other life/public school teacher self again. Yesterday was a great day for us. We have been preparing our students for their second round of exhibitions (a time where they demonstrate the work they have done over the trimester.) And, part of that preparation happened yesterday. The students were required to put together a tri-fold of their project and half the kids set theirs up and the other kids went around and asked questions about them. Then they switched. Other parents and students came in and got to interact with the teens and see their work. I was so proud of them! They really rose to the occasion.

One thing we have been working on with them is to make eye contact and greet people (especially adults) that they don't know. They are a bit lacking in this skill as a whole. I made them practice hand shaking and introducing themselves to me and they giggled uncomfortably, and rolled their eyes at me. But, I was so proud of them as I watched them interacting with both the adults and young kids that came through. I watched this little seven year old girl walk up to one of my 9th grade girls and say, "So, what did you like the best about your project?" It was precious! And, I watched Seth and a group of 7 year old boys staring in wonder as one of my squirreliest 9th grade boys explained some of the battles he had learned about from D-day. My heart just soared as I watched this multi-aged celebration of learning! This is another reason I love my job!

I just wanted to tell y'all about my great day yesterday. I realize I don't often tell people (including my family) some of the things I do at school. So, there it is. Yesterday I got to celebrate learning! And isn't that one of the greatest joys of being a teacher?

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive