Here I am midway into Lent. I have found that it is easier to give something up than it is to take something on. I love Diet pop. It has not been easy for me to give it up, and it does in some strange way focus my attention onto the sacrifice Christ made for me. (And I've been enjoying the Sunday feast of Diet Dr. Pepper :-))
My other goal was to find ways to serve my husband during this season. I find this more difficult. It is not that I don't enjoy serving my husband, it is just difficult to remember little ways to do this. In fact, what I have realized is the thousands of ways that he serves me. Little things, that often go unnoticed by me, in the course of the day. If anything this Lent season has heightened my awareness of this. This last week was a very busy time for me. I had to be at work every day, and I had to finish a big assignment for my class over the weekend. I found him cooking, cleaning, straightening, and occupying the kids. I never ask him to do these things. He always does the work that needs to be done without complaining or even pointing it out. I seem to need recognition for my effort. For example, I made his favorite meal last week (chile rellenos) which are a real labor of love! What do I say during dinner? "How much do you appreciate it that I made these? Come on, let me hear how much you love them! etc...." I was kidding, but I have realized that I often want credit for going the extra mile. He usually doesn't.
This realization has been a wonderful side benefit of Lent this year. It has caused me to appreciate him all the more. It is funny how when you look to give, you get back so much more! As I have sought to serve, I have gained a deeper love and appreciation for my husband.
Thank you, God, for making him the husband, father and man that he is!
Monday, March 20, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2006
(146)
-
▼
March
(21)
- Funny Birthday story....
- Shameless self promotion...
- Our itinerary
- Soccer begins...
- Did you hear that?
- Deep in the Revolution!
- Lenten observations
- Now I've seen it all....
- I was tagged...
- Apparently the Tooth Fairy doesn't work on the Ide...
- A Goal Accomplished
- Let's talk Yoga...
- Old letters....
- Since it went over OK last time....
- I know you have all probably seen these before, bu...
- And just when you think it is spring....
- One very, very small sign....
- Happy National Frozen Food Day....
- photo fast
- My book light saved our marriage
- Ash Wednesday
-
▼
March
(21)
No comments:
Post a Comment