Sunday, March 12, 2006

Let's talk Yoga...

First of all, this topic is on my mind today because I did yoga yesterday after missing several weeks. If any of you have done yoga before then you know why it is on my mind (and most other parts of my body today!) Who knew there were so many *different* muscles. My yoga class does not include any of the spiritual parts of yoga. It is just the hard work kind. Here are some random yoga thoughts.

  • Have you ever seen the Far Side cartoon entitled Boneless Chicken Farm that has lots of rubber chicken looking creatures laying around the farmhouse. Why do my arms and legs feel like that after I have done my yoga class?
  • What is up with Warrior 1? 2? 3? Reverse Warrior? Come on, how fierce can you be when your arms and legs are shaking in uncontrollable spasms? Is that really going to frighten away any enemies?
  • There are some people in this world who can twist their bodies into the most unnatural positions. I look around and just think....fuggetabowdit! I am not and never have been flexible. One reason that I like yoga is that it increases my flexibility, but I will never be one of those human pretzels.
  • Must they call it "downward facing dog?" Couldn't they think of something a little more elegant sounding? I mean, really...when you are holding yourself in that position, it is the least they could do.
  • I confess, my favorite part is the last five minutes where you just lay there. Sure, they call it corpse position, but it always reminds me how little time I am just still. Every week I have a hard time not hopping up, putting my shoes on and skipping that last 5 minutes. I mean, after all, it is kind of a waste of time to just lay there, isn't it? But, when I force myself to stay I realize that sometimes just "being" and not "doing" can be a good thing. I force myself to think of things I am thankful for, and pray and forcefully push away the mental to-do list that always creeps into my thoughts.

I have a confession to make. Yesterday, during my corpse position......I planned this blog entry! I owe myself 5 minutes! I guess I'll put it on my to-do list.

2 comments:

hornblower said...

One of my old yoga teachers used to tell us that those who are not naturally flexible, who really work at it, get more out of the class & the practice than those who can get into the pose quickly and easily. Because it's not the pose that's the point, it's the process....
And LOL about downward facing dog! The last yoga class I went to, the instructor had us rotate through dog a billion times and after a while he'd say "down dog!" just like you'd say TO a dog!

Anonymous said...

I did my yoga this morning too. I just do it at home with Rodney Yee, so who knows if I actually do the poses right.

I love yoga (at least my own form of it). It is slow and methodical and it's the only excersize I've ever done that makes me feel good after. I love stretching all those unknown muscles.

Granted, I'm only at the beginning - haven't moved on into anything harder yet (maybe I won't ever!) - but I like it.

Rodney Yee says "down dog" too - LOL.

Followers

Blog Archive