Thursday, March 02, 2006

My book light saved our marriage

Well, maybe that is an overstatement, but I love my book light. Danny is a light sleeper and has a hard time going to sleep with any light or noise. I, on the other hand, could fall asleep in the middle of a construction zone....standing up! So, it really chapped my hide when we first got married that I couldn't read in bed. So, I got in the habit of going into the other room to read for a while before nodding off. I hated this, because I like going to bed at the same time as my husband. I seem to need less sleep than he does, so he usually want to go to sleep earlier than I do. A few years ago, I got one of those book lights that clamp onto my book and I discovered that if I lay at a certain angle and turn the pages very quietly Danny can still go to sleep and I can stay in bed and read. I was reading in bed last night and thinking about how thankful that I am that I can have my book and read it too. :-) Sure, I get a little tired of laying on my left side, but I'm not complaining!!

I have been through several different varieties of book lamps and I'm not picky. I don't really like the idea of the flat ones that lay on top of the page because I have to move it each time I turn the page. (You know, danger of increased noise. :-)) Right now I am using my daughter's because mine broke and hers plugs into the wall. I like one that has the option to plug in so I'm not draining our batteries all the time. Hers has a timer on it that shuts the light off automatically after xx minutes. I don't use that feature, but the light works great.

Well, it's not life changing stuff around here today, folks. But, I just thought I'd shed a little light (ha ha) into the mundane!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mindy!
Joe isn't a lite sleeper, but he sometimes has to sleep through a lot of noise in the morning when he has worked the night before (his Dad was a night shift police officer, so he did too.) Anyway, we learned from his parents that a constant noise like a fan is really helpful to drown out other noises and help him sleep. Have you ever tried that?

Followers

Blog Archive