Sunday, November 13, 2005
I heard the most disturbing thing at the mall...
A small girl, around 4 or 5, was eyeing a little cloth doll. It looked like those Groovy Girls dolls, but I don't know it if was that brand or not. The little girl had picked up the one with dark skin. The mother kept telling the girl, "Honey, that one is "tanner" than we are." She looked at me, with a knowing smile, like I would understand that she wanted the little girl to choose one that was closer to her own skin color. I could tell the mom thought she was clever because she was saying "tanner" rather than different or darker. But, Hello Mom? What message are you giving your daughter. I smiled at the little girl and said, "I like that one too."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(83)
-
▼
November
(18)
- All this...and Christmas too!
- A Monday List
- The first day of advent...
- Doesn't everyone Scotchguard their carpet on Thank...
- Shakespeare overheard....
- Thankfulness...
- The Photo challenge...and part 3 of the women in m...
- Finally feeling better!!
- Praying for sleep tonight...
- I heard the most disturbing thing at the mall...
- There's more...
- So far, so good
- How do I know that my husband is sick?
- I feel like a sitting duck...
- And just like that...it is gone.
- What a difference a year makes...
- The Women in my life...Part 2
- November is here
-
▼
November
(18)
4 comments:
Great. Now I have to look for dolls with eczema just so I can relate to them.
How 'bout Acne Barbie? ThunderThighs Skipper?
Myopic Midge?
arrrggghhhh. Good for you for sticking with the girl! "tanner"... *eye roll*
Unbelievable! What is wrong with these people?
ROFL, Patty!!
I would have to to a Crows Feet Candy or Cellulite Cindy!
My boys would have wanted a "tan" version, too.
In fact, my older son, Jeffrey, was five when I was pregnant with Hunter. He said to me one day, "I sure hope we get a brown one, Mom!"
I explained that since we are all peach (his description of white folks) that we were going to have a peach baby.
He said, "It doesn't matter what color we are. My friend in Sunday School is brown even though he has a peach mom."
I guess he'd never met the friend's dad. :)
Crissy
Post a Comment