Although the project for school is over, I wanted to finish putting my thoughts here. I chose four women in my life who have influenced me greatly. The second is my mother-in-law. I am blessed (and I know it!) to have an incredible mother-in-law. She is gracious, kind, gentle and a Godly woman. She goes out of her way to make time for family. She is sensitive to the fact that I am not her daughter and never steps on my toes, but yet treats me as her own daughter.
She serves the community. She volunteers at the Union Gospel Mission, Anna Ogden Hall and Christ’s Kitchen. Today she asked if she could take Annsley to Christ's Kitchen to serve with her. What wonderful modeling for Annsley as she learns to serve others.
She plays the piano beautifully and gives the kids (free) piano lessons.
At the beginning of the school year she asks what she can do to help me. That is an amazing question. I must confess that I am not very good at taking help. I don't often know what to ask for in this situation. But, she has our family over for dinner every Wed night and part of her gift to me is that I get to stay home. She understands my need for some alone time and is not offended if I choose not to come. She is willing to help in any way with the homeschooling process. She even read several of the books (The Well Trained Mind and Story of the World) I use so that she can know what we are doing. She cooks and sews with the kids.
She is more serious by nature than my family, but always ready with a smile and a hug.
The in-law relationship can be one of the trickiest ones and I know how lucky I am to have such a great one! Plus, she raised my husband to be a great man and a wonderful husband and father. How can I ever thank her for that?
Thursday, November 03, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Blog Archive
-
▼
2005
(83)
-
▼
November
(18)
- All this...and Christmas too!
- A Monday List
- The first day of advent...
- Doesn't everyone Scotchguard their carpet on Thank...
- Shakespeare overheard....
- Thankfulness...
- The Photo challenge...and part 3 of the women in m...
- Finally feeling better!!
- Praying for sleep tonight...
- I heard the most disturbing thing at the mall...
- There's more...
- So far, so good
- How do I know that my husband is sick?
- I feel like a sitting duck...
- And just like that...it is gone.
- What a difference a year makes...
- The Women in my life...Part 2
- November is here
-
▼
November
(18)
3 comments:
You are so blessed - while I don't begrudge my mother-in-law her issues, I know I'll never have much of a relationship with her... I want someone to feed my family once a week!
I need to store up these stories of good mothers-in-law for when my boys get married...
I really don't know how I found my way to your blog, but I've enjoyed reading it here and there. I love the post you did about your mother and you are soooooo blessed to have a mother in law like you do.
I like your banner at the top of your page....cute.
Debi
What a nice tribute to your mom-in-law. Someday, when my kids are grown I hope to be as helpful to my kids spouses as she is to you-as much of a friend as well!
Post a Comment