Friday, November 11, 2005

So far, so good

I have not yet been smitten with the bug. We had a great day today. I had no agenda at all. I told the kids we could go wherever they wanted (subject to the usual bugetary constraints, of course.) Annsley wanted to go to the mall and Seth wanted to go the Learning is Fun. So, off we went. We spent a ton of time at Barnes & Noble (our favorite spot at the mall.) Annsley said, "This is so great. We can stay here as long as we want." Then we wandered and window shopped. We bought nothing except a miniature Mrs. Fields cookie and some decaf coffee for me. Next we went to Costco to pick up a couple of gingerbread houses before they disappear as is want to happen at Costco. I became totally sold on the Costco gingerbread houses last Christmas. I have tried making my own. It is a royal pain!! I have tried pre-fab gingerbread houses. They never work quite out. But, the Costco houses were perfect. They come with tons of candy and the pieces all ready to go and frosting mixture. Easy assembly. Only $7.99.

Danny grew up with a gingerbread tradition. He and his mom decorated one half and his sister and dad took the other side. During the holidays when guests and friends came over they would vote on which side was the best. It was a fun memory for them. So, we have tried to carry on this tradition but, we don't do the voting yet. The Costco house was a big bonus in this tradition. It is amazing how beautiful a bunch of gaudy, tacky candy looks on a white frosted gingerbread house.

Then we went to Learning is Fun. Seth picked up a bag of polished rocks with some money he'd been saving. Annsley headed straight for the books and hung out there the whole time. I browsed science experiments and other fun items.

Did you know there are literary action figures? I saw one of William Shakespeare and Ben Franklin. But, the most disturbing of all was the Edgar Allan Poe action figure. He was scary looking with (of course) a raven on his shoulder. Please tell me who would play with an Edgar Allan Poe action figure. Bizarre and frightening.

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive