Friday, September 09, 2005

A Spiritual Thirst

Some days I feel (albeit incorrectly) that I can make it on my own strength. And others I'm acutely aware of my need for God. Today is one of those days where my longing to commune with Him is strong. A.W. Tozer, says in his book The Pursuit of God, "
"O God, I have tasted Thy goodness, and it has both
satisfied me and made me thirsty for more. I
am painfully conscious of my need for further grace.
I am ashamed of my lack of desire, O God, the Triune God,
I want to want Thee;
I long to be filled with longing;
I thirst to be made thirsty still."
Somehow just knowing that Tozer (a well-known, well respected theologian) feels ashamed of his lack of desire makes my feel better. I don't understand why God made us the way He did. We are dependent on Him even for our desire for Him, but I echo Tozer in my "thirst to be made thirsty still."

1 comment:

Cathy said...

I've been reading Tozer lately too.. good stuff.

It's awesome when we hunger for God like we should...

Followers

Blog Archive